Ads 468x60px

Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Lighthouse of Alexandria-Egypt

The Lighthouse of Alexandria is on the ancient island of Pharos, now a promontory on the harbor of the city of Alexandria in Egypt.This light house of Alexandria was one of the useful wonders among all the seven wonders of the world (for the sailors to return to the Great Harbor). This is a small point that differentiates it from the rest of the wonders of the world. The mirror which was mounted on this lighthouse could reflect the light more than 35 miles off-shore. Of the 6 ancient destroyed wonders, this was the last to be destroyed around 1480 AD.This lighthouse was built around 280 BC and was around 134 m in height. This was built in the city of Alexandria.
The light house had a good mirror which can reflect the sun light to a very long distance. Mythical stories used to say that this mirror was used to burn the enemy ships.
The Macedonian conqueror, Alexander during his successful reign, had tried establishing approximately 17 cities in the name of Alexandria. The only one survived long was the one in Egypt. That too even this city was not completely built by Alexander. The completion of the construction of this city was achieved by his commander Ptolemy I Soter.
Ptolemy connected Alexandria to the Pharos island by a bridge. It was realized that the sailing in this coastal region is very dangerous. That is why he decided to build a light house. This project was initiated during Ptolemy's reign in 290 BC and completed after his death by his son Ptolemy Philadelphus. Sostratus who lived in the same time as Euclid, was the architect. This used to remain in the harbor for centuries. This wonder of the world also depicted in the Roman coins that time.
The writings of the Arab conquerors are very good source of information about this lighthouse. The new rulers moved the capital to the Cairo. So this place had lost its importance. Three earthquakes stuck in various periods (around AD 956, AD 1303 and AD 1323 ) have damaged the lighthouse significantly. The during AD 1480 the Egyptian Mamelouk Sultan, has built a medieval fort at the same place. That was the end to the story of the light house.
After he invaded Rodes with 40,000 soldiers as good as eventually completed feat after most attempts, Demetrius as the pointer of feat combined the Colossus Of Rodes. It is the 60 feet high sature of Zeus station upon the white marble pedestal nearby the Mandraki harbour. The make up was done in iron as good as bronze. It took twelve years to finish the statue as good as was broken in an Earthqake inside of 56 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Total Pageviews


Join us in Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

Powered By EXEIdeas